Rap Genius Engineering Team – We're looking for a bomb front-end dev with an eye for design!!
Over the past few years, Rap Genius has gone from tiny side-project to one of the biggest music sites on the internet. We've raised 15 mil from some pretty dope investors and grown to employ some of the most talented backend devs this world has ever seen. We've even expanded from rap into the wild west of poetry, rock, and news. Now were looking for a genius front-ender to help craft the most beautiful, usable and totally non-jank experience in EVER OF ALL THE INTERNET.
Why would you want to work for us? it's obvious, but here are some basics:
- One of the fastest growing sites on the internet, SERIOUSLY THIS IS BASED ON ACTUAL NUMBERS.
- Tiny, quick-shipping team with a ton of autonomy – so you never think to yourself: “what did i accomplish this year/month/30 seconds ago?”
- A development and design agenda that is led by developers and designers– so no marketing or product people telling you how the image carousel should work.
- Gym in building, free food, sweet benefits, whatever computer you want, more money than your last job, equity, etc.
- Live in New York, where a new restaurant is born every 1.5 seconds!
A little about the dev team:
- Seven people total: five backend, one front-end/design, and one TOTALLY SICK intern.
- Independently led projects.
- Projects and priorities are determined communally (usually over burritos).
- Ruby on Rails via Heroku + Sass, Compass, Jquery, Git, Erb, and more!
More about the position:
- We are looking for a front-ender who also has design chops. This could mean you went to design school, or you could simply think UI is interesting. Either way, you gotta be passionate about it!
- Be a CSS Boss. RG is all about the cascades. It's a big part of the site and a big part of the job!
Interested? Hit us up with:
- Your name and online identity – i.e., your Twitter, Github, Blog, Stackoverflow account, personal website, etc. The more info the better.
- Location – you can’t get the true RG cult effect working remotely, so only apply if you live in NYC or are willing to relocate. Our office is in Williamsburg.
- Educational background and/or most recent job
- A little bit about your technical background, including something brief about what you like and dislike about the technologies you’ve used.
- If you come in for an interview, you’ll start by making a short technical presentation to the team and taking their questions. What will you present?
- THE MOST IMPORTANT: What have you built online that you’re proud of? Any cool designs to show off?
Edit news description to add:
- Historical context: how the event or text affects the world and history
- An explanation of the work's overall story (example: "Here, President Obama confirms the legality of drone strikes...")
- The work's impact on current issues