PREAMBLE: To do links put the text you want to link in brackets and the URL of the link in parentheses, like this: [text you want to link](url you're linking to)
LINK SHORTCUTS: you can shortcut to song links by putting the artist name and song name in DOUBLE BRACKETS, ex. [[2Pac "Me Against The World"]]
PASTING IN A URL from youtube, twitter, or a pic will AUTOMATICALLY EMBED the video/tweet/pic in explanations/posts (that's G right?)
- ctrl+shift+space starts/stops the music player on pages – VERY HELPFUL with transcribing lyrics to new/hot songs! (email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you transcribe any new shit – we front page it, big plus for getting editor privs, big Rap IQ bonus for originally transcribed songs, etc.)
- ctrl+ f (or command+ f on Mac) can be used to find words on a page. EXTREMELY useful when looking for a specific word or phrase to edit/view, or a specific user to reply to in the forum.
1. If you don't know whether a line should be explained, ask yourself: "Is this interesting"? If not, skip it or find a way to make it interesting (THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT RULE OF RAP GENIUS!!! DON'T EXPLAIN IT UNLESS IT'S INTERESTING!)
2. DON'T PUT STUFF INTO NERDSPEAK! Only explain stuff if most people wouldn't get it, or if you can illuminate meaning by linking to another song, a news story, or adding a pic
3. References to "other songs" are in "quotes" (and should be linked to the song on Rap Genius whenever possible!). References to other things (*album names*, *movie titles*, *magazines*, etc) are in *italics*
4. When referring to a song not on Rap Genius, PUT IT ON RAP GENIUS! (or link to YouTube)
5. To add an image to an explanation, paste in the URL of a .jpg, .png, or .gif (you can find these on Google images if you click "full size image" (it should look something like this: http://priyadarshanibmv.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/cat2.jpg)
6. If you have ANY QUESTIONS or you feel emotional, email email@example.com
7. Being funny is good!
8. THUG LIFE BABAY!
9. What number are we on?
10. Don't EVER SAY "Rapper X is saying that.." Just SAY what they are saying (feel me?)
• MAKE THE LYRICS LOOK LIKE A POEM - OTHER SITES DISRESPECT THE FLOW
• When adding lyrics, BE CAREFUL! The internet is usually hella-incorrect – and almost certainly in the incorrect format
• Use apostrophes when words are shortened: (Bangin' instead of Bangin)
• Use "this" not "dis", etc. unless the pronunciation stands out in a way that makes spelling it wrong necessary
• Put rapper's name in brackets above his or her verse [Verse 2: Lil Wayne]
• If you don't know what to do, click on some published songs to find out
• Intro/outro talking should only be included if it is amusing or interesting
• Use correct grammar (capitalize the first letter of a sentence and all proper nouns)
• References to other songs should be in quotes and LINKED (SONGS ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION WITH ONE ANOTHER!!)
• To link a URL that ends in a parenthesis, put a backslash before the last one
• Got something to add to an explanation that seems to be missing something? Please Goddamnit, do not do so by stating seemingly untrue facts without including a link to where you read or heard about it
• If the lyric references a place or event, DON'T just paste the wikipedia opening paragraph. Find out why the artist is making the reference, and explain its connection to the song.
• TRY TO HIGHLIGHT ENTIRE LINES WHENEVER POSSIBLE - NOT SINGLE WORDS
Edit news description to add:
- Historical context: how the event or text affects the world and history
- An explanation of the work's overall story (example: "Here, President Obama confirms the legality of drone strikes...")
- The work's impact on current issues